This is an anthology of poetry from the same publisher as New Short Stories. Poetry and short stories, like horses and goats, make good companions.
The collection brings together poetry by writers currently living in America, Britain, Ireland, Italy and New Zealand. They have little in common other than finding themselves here, in this book, and in the early part of the 21st century, with something to say.
You can preview the list of contents here.
Contributors: Raewyn Alexander, Alex Barr, Lynn Blackadder, Sean Brijbasi, Susan Campbell, David Cooke, Tim Craven, Mikey Delgado, Vanessa Gebbie, Kim Göransson, James Browning Kepple, Charles Lambert, Laura Lee, Andrew Mayne, Geraldine Mills, Stephen Moran, Nuala Ní Chonchúir, Richard Peabody, Lynsey Rose, Judi Sutherland, Lee Webber. The title is taken from a poem by Alex Barr.
- “Apartment” by Y.J. Zhu
- “Blue Raincoat” by Teresa Stenson
- “Dancing with the Flag Man” by Nemone Thornes
- “Gusul” by Adnan Mahmutovic
- “Homecoming” by Alex Barr
- “Out of Season” by Mary O’Shea
- “Overnight Miracles” by A.J. Ashworth
- “Set Dance” by Angela Sherlock
- “The Bedroom” by Micheal Coleman
- “The Place” by David Frankel
- “Thingummy Wotsit” by Adrian Sells
- “Victor” by Emma Martin
‘Every human type and taste is here – sad, funny, fresh, sharp, gripping, sour and sweet – delicious small mysteries that suddenly reveal their secret hearts.’ (Maggie Gee)
The best of the Willesden Herald international short story prize 2011. Twelve new stories set as far afield as China and New Zealand, Sweden and the US as well as several from Britain and Ireland.
Continue reading “Willesden Herald: New Short Stories 5”