Update: Closed for submissions at present
Willesden Herald Short Story of the Month
We work towards a rolling deadline of the second-last Friday of every month but often select the featured short story before then. There is no reading fee. Recompense is limited to one copy of our latest anthology. Copyright: apart from permission to display it on our website online, you retain all rights in your story. Please see below for details in full.
What You Need to Know
- We’re seeking literary fiction. Please see our back issues for examples of what we like.
- Language: English. Previously unpublished online. Entirely your own original work.
- Stories previously published in print but not online will be considered. Please advise details so that acknowledgement of the original publication can be included.
- Word range: 1500 to 4500. Only one submission at a time please.
- Please do not include quotes for which copyright permission would have to be obtained, e.g. song lyrics or other excerpts, including epigraphs, unless the quoted text is in the public domain.
- Times New Roman, 12 point font, double-spaced is good but it’s not the be all and end all.
- Document formats accepted: .doc, .docx, or .RTF. Unfortunately we cannot accept PDF format. If you don’t know what any of that means, don’t worry. It’s the file you upload, and it should be fine.
- Consideration: Each Story of the Month author will receive a copy of our latest anthology.
- Simultaneous submissions are okay but please withdraw your story if accepted elsewhere by selecting “Withdraw” beside your entry in the Submittable system.
- Response time: Submissions are read in sequence by date received. We decide on the next month’s featured story no later than the second-last Friday of each month. At that stage, we try to “release” prior submissions. If you have not heard back it means your story may still be under consideration for the following month.
- We can’t provide feedback on stories, or enter into discussion about selection criteria, technical issues etc.
- Permissions: Except for permission to display your submitted story online on our website, all copyright reverts to you, the author.
- Stories will remain online as formatted PDF documents, unless removed later on request from the author, or at the discretion of the editor.
- Data Protection: We wish to communicate entirely through Submittable.com’s message system, not collecting any of your data outside of that. We won’t pass your information to anyone else, unless compelled to do so by law.
- Submission shall be taken as acceptance of these terms.
Updated 29 April 2020: Unpublished online but previously published in print acceptable