We’re delighted to announce that novelist and short story writer Jarred McGinnis has agreed to judge the Willesden Herald Short Story Competition 2022. An American abroad, his debut novel The Coward (Canongate, 2021) was a BBC2 national television “Between the Covers” recommendation. It is also about to be published in the US and in France, Italy and Spain later this year. He has many strings to his bow, including short fiction for BBC Radio 4 and much more besides, which you can read all about on his website. He is no stranger to our competition, having had a short story in New Short Stories 4. (Submit)
July 2021: Spectacular debut novel by Jarred McGinnis, whose short story “Learning Stick” in New Short Stories 4 showed the brilliance that would eventually lead to Canongate publishing his novel The Coward.
You won’t find a more uplifting read in these dark times.Irvine Welsh
- Wena Poon – The Architects
- Toby Litt – Veronika and Roger-Roger
- Julia Goubert – In the Land of Flies
- Willie Davis – Emily Strabnow’s Freckles
- Nuala Ní Chonchúir – Letters
- Kevin Spaide – Monkey Hat
- Carys Davies – Precious
- Jonathan Attrill – Love and Longing in the Marvellous City
- Peggy Riley – Pearl
- Tom Vowler – Busy. Come. Wait.
- Paul McGuire – Hope Street
- Jo Cannon – Shutters
- Jarred McGinnis – Learning Stick
- Henrietta Rose-Innes – Falling
Fourteen of the best short stories of the year 2010 from brilliant new and award-winning authors, seven by men and seven by women. The stories are set in Australia, Ireland, Russia, Singapore, South Africa, UK, US and more.